Friday, July 18, 2008

Spiritual confusion...

I am very pleased that many of the people in my life, or who have come into my life as of late, seem to be very spiritual and wise people. Many have commented on my blog and even more have emailed me personally. I am always thrilled to hear from anyone in either way.
Having said that, I will try to explain my spiritual confusion, in the hopes that I offend no one.
Years ago someone said to me, that the way a person views God, is often times much the way they view their earthly father. I always found that to be interesting. Where as, most people I know believe in one God, I think it is safe to say no two people truly perceive God in the same way. I would imagine that would be impossible, as every individual is different. Regardless of what we were each taught about the Lord, we are who we are, just as we think the way we think, largely because of our experiences in childhood. Often I have read scripture or heard in sermons about fearing God. I have never really feared 'my' God. Just as I never feared my earthly father. Don't get me wrong, growing up it never served me well to anger my father. However, if you don't count the years of my adolescent shenanigans, I have always viewed my father as very patient and kind. Certainly not a man to fear. And certainly a man to whom my best was always good enough.
I have no doubt that the Lord, as I view Him, doesn't expect me to do it all 'right' and that going to Him in prayer, in any way, pleases Him. He is loving and forgiving and kind. However, there are a few things as of late that I want so badly to be specific about in prayer. Such as, Presley's condition not worsening while she awaits her surgery as well as the valve in her heart to heal and be viable for surgery. But as I contemplate this for prayer, something very heavy has weighed upon me. If everything is God's will, if He already knows the outcome, if He has His plan in place...then why pray? I am not trying to be even the slightest bit cynical or sarcastic here. It is truly a spiritual dilemma I have had within myself. Why pray, or how should I pray? If God already knows His plan and knows Presley's outcome then is there hope for a specific prayer to be answered?
I hope I don't sound too dramatic. I never thought there would be a day when I questioned if I were praying the right way. But I also never thought my prayers would ever hold the magnitude in which they hold today. I wish my prayers still just consisted of 'taking the right job' or 'buying the right house', geez, those were the days...

6 comments:

Heather said...

All completely normal thoughts and feelings. Just pray Kele.Anyway that feels right at that moment. God knows your heart. Forgives our human weakness and loves us unconditionally.Always.Be patient with yourself and Him. His timing,remember that.This is where the giving up control comes in. It is the not knowing that leaves us filled with fear.We often wish to glimpse the future thinking that it will help us cope with today but what we forget is, that if we were actually allowed to do that, what we saw may make it unbearable to live in our present moments and most importantly,we would spoil some really magical things waiting for us tomorrow!I posted a poem type thing from a womens retreat awhile back and it went like this:"Be still and know that I am God. Be still and know that I am. Be still and know. Be still. Be."Repeat it. Try it.It might help.It can't hurt.

All 4 My Gals said...

Kele,
I most often pray for the strength to accept God's will for my life, knowing that He knows the big picture and that I have no clue. However I do believe that He listens to our prayers. I don't believe in the "Gypsy in a bottle" god that so many people seem to want to believe in. I don't think He grants our every wish, just as we would not grant our children's every wish, for we know what is best and have wisdom they don't yet have. In the case of people who are ill, especially our children I do believe in the power of prayer and I know that I listen to your postings to know just how TO pray for Presley. So sister, go ahead, and let Him have your every desire, and even your every frustration, He can take it, and your relationship with Him will deepen.
Much love, Nicole

Anonymous said...

Very good words of wisdom and spirituality from Heather and Nicole. To know God is not necessarily to know everything about God. We do know about God from Scriptures and the revelation of God through Christ, but more importantly, we come to know God. You do know God as evidenced from your writing. And knowing God is what being a Christian is really about. At the same time, God knows you, your children, your spouse, your entire family, and so on. As your friends note, God knows your heart and their hearts. That is who God is.

Concerning prayer: I think your friends are exactly right (you have some very good friends!). Never, ever worry about offending God by wondering what He is up to. He can handle it because, again, He knows your heart and has unconditional love for you and your family. There is more faith in honest searching and wondering than there is complacency. Does God know the outcome of everything and predestine the outcome? That is the question of the centuries. Note that he has changed his mind before. He decided that King Saul was not the right king and replaced him with David. Abraham argued with him about destroying two evil cities and convinced him not to destroy them. Moses talked him out of destroying the Israelites. The prophets tried to convince the people to change their ways to avoid destruction... and so forth. Does this mean that God can lose control, or have in mind doing something bad and be cajoled into turning aside? Of course not, but it does mean that God does listen and respond. And it means that God is always with us no matter what happens. I believe in prayer, but more importantly Jesus believed in prayer; that is why he left us his, own personal prayer to his father and our father. You are right not to fear God in the sense of what we mean by fear today. God loves us more than we can ever comprehend. Exactly how God may or may not respond to our prayer is a great mystery... sometimes there are changes, and we even forget that we asked him to help out. The only thing we can be 100% assured of is that He is always there and always loves us.

I will add you and your family to my prayers. Pastor Joe, Newton, Texas.

Reagan Leigh said...

Kele,

Here is something I read recently and I hope that it might help you in your prayers. (Our bible study group just fasted/prayed last week for my daughter and this was something I forwarded on to them.)

I read this the other day and I found it very interesting and true...most people (including me) pray hoping to see results instead of expecting to see them.


ASK AND YOU SHALL RECEIVE

The second step for answered prayer is this: You must ask God for what you want and believe that you receive it.

What is it that you want? Be specific and ask.

I think many people need to be specific in their requests. Jesus asked a blind man, "What do you want me to do for you?" It would seem obvious that the man wanted his sight. But Jesus never assumes to know your desire. He wants you to tell Him.

Once you are specific in your request, you must believe that you have received the answer, even before you can see the answer.

Jesus says in Mark 11:24, "Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." Notice that this scripture does not say to believe that you will receive. No! It says to believe that you have received. This means that you must believe that you have the answer already, even before you physically possess the answer. This is faith.

Many times people are praying, thinking that they are believing, when in reality they are not believing, but hoping. Hope and faith are not the same. You cannot expect to receive from hope what is promised only to faith. Faith is what is required in prayer.

I hope this helps you as it has me!!

Tera

The Turner's said...

Sweet Kele,
Praise the Lord for all your wonderful friends! Thank you for being so real! The Lord loves that vulnerability. I believe that just letting go of all the details sometimes which is letting go of control and praying for his will is truly the best thing we can do. Gods will for our lives is the best of the best weather we like it or not. That to me is the hard part, letting go. The Holy Spirit is so convicting of that for me. Just prat for his will. Kele, I am praying for you too. You are truly an inspiration to me. When I think of you I see God smiling. You are so special.Ry and I love you all! We cant wait for Annie to meet Pres. They will be buds!
Alison

Anonymous said...

I just want to recommend a book to you. I am in the middle of reading it...but it has helped me to understand why we should continue to pray. It's called "Get off your Knees and Pray"...by Sheila Walsh. When I bought the book, I was asking myself a lot of the same questions you are asking. It has helped me to understand that God CAN change his mind and his plan...but if we don't ask specifically for what we want, then we should not expect to receive it! It's very well written and uplifting. I know you probably don't have much spare time for reading...but if/when you do...I think you would find it really helpful. I will continue to pray for you!
~Courtney O (CourtneyOsmar@mhd.com)

Blog Archive