Thursday, August 21, 2008

The wink...

I think seeing the light at the end of this tunnel has just made me a bit nostalgic.
Yesterday Mike and I were in the hospital cafeteria eating lunch and we found ourselves reminiscing about the past 6 months.
You know, when the surgeon came out after Presley's surgery on Monday,
I was in true dork fashion when he left, I jumped up and down, and I made Mike give me a high five!
The culmination of it all had just made me so giddy.
Because, along with all the pain and anguish of the last 6 months, there is also so much that I am proud of, and happy about.
First and foremost, I think of Presley and all that she has endured and pulled through.
I am so proud to be her mommy,
she is my hero!
However, I also can't help but think about Mike and I.
I think of all the internal shifts and changes within us,
that go along with all the external happenings of the last 6 months.
Even though we were both completely unaware just how hard these last several months would be,
Mike reassured me early on, that it would all be okay...
On the morning, of the day that Pres was born,
Mike and I were still unaware of the results from the test performed,
to see if Presley would have Down syndrome.
It had been one week of waiting.
I don't think I could ever articulate accurately what that week of waiting was like.
I prayed,
I cried,
and I felt like I was living someone else's life.
All I can say is, it was dark.
No matter what time of day, it was dark.
About 3 hours after my arrival to the hospital, on the day Pres was to be born, my OB, Dr. B, finally came into the room.
Mike was about 10 feet from me, leaning against the sink.
Dr. B was at my side, on a stool.
He held my hand and looking at me, then to Mike, slowly and a bit hesitantly, he said...
'Well, the results of the amnio came back and it does look as if she has Down syndrome'.
I remember looking at Mike...
I don't know if it was because time stood still,
but I will never, in all of my days, forget what he did...
Mike looked at me, with a half smile on his face,
and he winked.
I don't remember much after that. I don't know what else Dr. B said,
I don't recall if Mike and I hugged when he left,
I don't remember crying with him...
I know we did both, we hugged and we cried. But I just don't remember it specifically.
But I do remember the wink.
I can still see that wink.
I think because in that moment, I felt like my world was crashing,
in that moment, I felt like I was getting the worst news I have ever heard in my life,
but from across the room,
the man in my life,
was telling me,  with that wink, that it was going to be okay,
that we were going to be okay.
And we have been.
Goodness, we have come so far.
Not only do Mike and I embrace our little lovely and all that she entails.
We also accept the realities of what goes with it all.
We understand that if people don't know our little angel... to them she is Down syndrome,
that is what they see, a seemingly sad diagnosis and the medical issues that go with it.
They don't see Presley.
But in the beginning, I also struggled with this perception and I am her mother...so I would never expect more from others.
I understand this now, and I am okay with it.
Mike and I realize,
and accept,
that people who don't have a child with special needs,
more specifically, a child with Down syndrome,
will never really understand it when we say we feel so very blessed.
Everyone has there own personal journey...
Where as, I learned long ago to never look at another's life with envy,
because you never truly know what their journey is about,
it has taken the presence of Presley, for me to realize the flip side of that...
to never look at a person's life and feel badly for them,
because again,
you aren't walking their path to know the beauty of their story,
their whole story.
Mike and I have a story.
I think it is a beautiful story,
but it is real...
Which means it has good chapters and bad chapters.
But what is consistent throughout, is that we are in it together.
I feel very blessed to have Mike in my life,
a man, that in the midst of his own devastation, felt compelled to send me a sign of reassurance.
He told me with that wink, and many times since,
that, 'we can do this'...
WE. CAN. DO. THIS.
We can, we have, and we are!

So, to the man behind the wink, 'High five, thumbs up, V for victory, double high five and all the other dorky stuff that comes from this goof ball wife of yours! I am proud of us and iloveyou.'

10 comments:

Reagan Leigh said...

Beautiful story...it made me cry!!

Patsy DeSalvo said...

Even though I know the story, at least all but the "wink" - that story made me proud to be Aunt Patsy to you and Mike! Go Giles! and all the dorky stuff your wife makes you do! We are all blessed in one way or another - family being the top of the stack - and the minute God gave you Presley, you have to know you, like the others with a DS child, you where "chosen" to not only take care of a special child, but to help others be aware and make a difference in our crazy world. I have no doubt, that Kele & Mike Giles will be 2 very important people in this awareness. I'm very proud to be in "your family".

Heather said...

Tears from me as well Kele.We are tested on so many levels on this journey. Our faith. Our inner strength. Our physical capabilities.Our relationships.If in the end and during the most trying times,we can remain united, then we will know for certain that we can face whatever lies ahead of us,as long as we are together. Yet another gift from your little butterfly. And people feel sorry for us.Why? We are so absolutely blessed.

Sue said...

Kele,
This is such a beautiful story...one that was special to you but also one that will touch many other people who hear it. That's the perfect example of true love--togetherness--Mike's way of telling you that you two were together. Being from Alabama and hearing Coach Stallings talk about John Mark, he told many times that if God told him that he could choose whether to have John Mark with Down's or not, he would without hesitation say, "I wouldn't change a thing!" I believe you two are just like that. Presley is perfect just the way she is and you two are the ones God chose to be her earthly parents. That speaks pretty highly of you!

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

This a great story! One that all families who get a prenatal diagnosis should read! Thanks for sharing! :)

Amy said...

Kele,
This made me cry. You are so good with words, and I loved hearing your version of how in such an emotional moment, your sweet husband winked at you. That is love. I am so certain that God put the perfect 2 people for perfect little Presley. I look forward to watching your story continue to unfold. I told Shawn tonight that we're going to have to go to Texas so I can meet my friend!
Love,
AMY:)

Shannon @ Gabi's World said...

What a sweet story! I loved reading it!

Sue said...

Kele,
Would you mind emailing me your address? My email is SueSSGarrett@aol.com
How's Presley today? Thanks for the comment. You are amazing!!

Joella said...

Kele
How amazing that life is and everyone that is in your life. As I read this I feel tears of joy for you and Mike. How special you two are to GOD, that he would choose both of you to be Presley's parents and Mikah & Jett to be her bro & sis. This is a beautiful blog and it will touch peoples heart like it touched mine. It's also wonderful that you will always have that memory that will be special to your heart. I want you to watch that video of Presley again and watch her eyes. She gave you a "kids wink"(both eyes) a couple of times, especially the one at the end when you told her you love her and was proud to be her mommy, that was a long wink. What a great sign you got again, telling you "Everything was going to be all right." WOW it gave me goose bumps and tears!!!!!!!! Presley is going to be one special child and she is going to move mountain, she is strong, with the help of her special parents of course and you all have GOD on your side. I am truly blessed to of got the chance to know your family and become a friend, Thank You GOD!
Love ya!
Jo

StephanieG said...

What a beautiful post...I'm crying now. I just found your blog linked from a friend's that I read. Your kids are beautiful and it sounds not only like y'all are blessed to have Presley but she is absolutely blessed for having you as parents.

Thanks for sharing your story. I can just picture that sweet wink. I can't imagine the devastation that followed. I'm glad she's home, where she belongs, with your perfect little family.

God Bless

Blog Archive