Saturday, August 2, 2008

The 'R' word

This past year I started watching the comedian, Kathy Griffin, and her reality show on BravoTv, My life on the D-list. I know she is rude, crude and at times a bit much, but she does make me laugh! Hysterically at times.
My sister Kristy and I have turned our sister Kim, onto her show. And a few weeks ago they both informed me that they thought I needed a night out, to just laugh. They are such amazing and selfless people and I am beyond lucky to call them my sisters.
Anyway, their idea was to send Mike and I to see Kathy Griffin in concert when she was in town last weekend. Mike isn't a huge fan, but knowing my stress level, I think he would of agreed to sit through 'Madame Butterfly' if I asked him to.
I enjoyed her live, she was very funny. However, somewhere in her banter of banters, she used the 'R' word. It was very flip, she was in the midst of part of her gig and she said something like 'whatever, retard' or 'okay, retard'. I truly don't remember the exact quote. I just remember the word.
On the drive home, as Mike and I talked about the show, he said:

M: I noticed you laughed when she said the word retard. Did you notice her saying it?

K: Of course I noticed, I remember being in the middle of laughter from the bit she was on. But yes, I noticed.

M: What do you think when you hear that word?

K: It bothers me, it actually hurts. But I also know it is used out of ignorance. What can you do?

Mike and I are very new to this whole advocacy thing. We love our Presley and the thought that people could be mean to her with words, adds a dimension of pain to my being, that I never knew could be there.
I also know that people use words without even thinking of the sharpness they can have. The word may not mean something to one person in the room, but it can cut like a knife to another. Furthermore, some people in the room may not even hear the word while it seems deafening to another person.
I have thought about this for several days and one thing I remember from the concert, which I find interesting, is that Kathy Griffin would never use the horrible slang word for African Americans. Several times in her bit, when it pertained, she would say "the N word". She never dared to actually say the word, she just safely referred to it as "the N word".
Obviously, she, like most everybody, is aware how inappropriate and hurtful that word is. Most likely from the fact that there has been such a movement in that regard. And thankfully so.
I don't know if there will ever be a movement toward protecting people with delays, special needs or cognitive issues, in the huge and absolute magnitude that our generation has seen for African Americans. I would hope so, but who really knows.
I do know one thing, there is a movement within me. I am aware. I think that is what much of this is about, awareness.
A slang saying I have said entirely too often, "....I'm gonna shoot myself in the head!" In times when I find myself complaining or frustrated about something I will say... 'if this, or that, happens again, 'I'm gonna shoot myself in the head!'
Well, one of my closest friends lost her husband last year in that very way. I feel certain that if ever those two precious children that he left behind, who understand very well what their father did, hear that phrase, jokingly or flip, none the matter, they will notice, they will hear and it will cut. They have their own need to make people aware.
Having said that expression doesn't make me a horrible person and I certainly won't be boycotting Kathy Griffin.
But I will find a new expression for my frustration. And if this makes even one person reading, rethink a phrase or word in their assemblage of such, then this post was worth the time and I helped in the awareness.

11 comments:

Aunt Kim said...

perfect.......

Emily said...

I love reading your blogs and your beautiful choice of words when you describe things that are passionate to you. It's interesting that you blogged on this topic because I found myself saying the "R" word a few weeks ago. I happened to be with my sister at the time and she said "Emily, you really need to be careful with your usage of that word. It's use could hurt your friend Kele." It was so good for her and you to remind us all to be careful in the words we choose. What seems like a simple choice of words can really sting those around us. I don't think of Presley or any other child with disabilities in that way. Maybe it's because I've surrounded myself with people who have various challenges my whole life and feel comfortable. However, I made a decision two weeks ago to be careful with my use of words. No matter my intention, words can sting. In regards to "shoot myself in the head...." that's exactly what my classmate and friend did last week. I attended his funeral on Monday and was again reminded to be very careful of the words I use. Those children will never be the same and I don't want to be responsible for causing them any more pain with the ignorant words I use; regardless of the intention in which they are said.

Oh me, I'm not so elegant with words, but I guess I'm saying "thanks." Thanks for your honesty and realness. Thanks for making me aware (again) that words can hurt. I love you. I love Mike. I love Micah. I love Jett. I love Presley. As always, praying for you and here when you need me

Heather said...

It all boils down to informing and educating on behalf of those who cannot, at times, do it on their own behalf. That's where we come in. Have you checked out my link in"Learn More and be Inspired" on Soeren's speech on this exact thing? My link is in the written form but you should check him out on "you tube" if you haven't already . Pretty powerful.Hope to talk to you soon. Kiss's to your little butterfly.

Anonymous said...

Kelle, I found your blog awhile back from the Allen family. I love reading your words they are always so moving and your family is just beautiful. I wanted to comment when I read this post because you say in your blog you don't know why god chose you for Presley but you are happy he did. It seems clear to me that Presley should be happy too, you were meant for the job. She is a lucky girl.
Lisa

All 4 My Gals said...

Okay Kele this is so weird because I have two experiences that MIRROR yours!

The first: Joe and I were at Comedy on Broadway, a local place with a no name comic and Tarenne was older...so a few years of advocacy under my belt...I actually chased the comedian into the lobby to talk to him about his use of the word and to let him know he ruined my night out. LOL

Second...my Uncle committed suicide in that same way and I often in my head have thought about that same comparison you write about.

Hugs girlfriend! I'm glad we're in this together!

Kele said...

My sweet friend Heather mentioned this speech in her comment. I have read it and any of you interested should check it out. It was an amazing speech from an amazing kid!
Here ya go....C&P into your browser: http://www.mindlessmommy.com/2008/02/soeren-palumbos-eye-opening-speech-on-the-word-retard.html

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

Couldn't have said it better myself. We also addressed this issue on my blog awhile back. You can read it here.

Anonymous said...

Kele,
I stumbled onto your blog "by accident," and I have already added it to my favorite places. I am a special education teacher in Alabama. My husband and I struggled with infertility for many years, and spent LOTS of money trying every drug and procedure we could. Finally, we "gave up" and decided to take a break. Shortly thereafter, we met the 2 sweetest angels you can imagine. They were foster children, brothers, ages 3 and 2. LOOOONNNNNNGGGG story short, we adopted them. Soon after they came to live with us, we found out that we were pregnant. As it turns out, my Keith (oldest son) has learning disabilities. I cannot tell you the numbers of tears I have cried, or the prayers I have offered on his behalf. I cringe every time my friends flippantly (sp?) use the "r word." This post was amazing. I look forward to visiting your blog often. I am in the process of creating one myself. Your Presley is precious...what a blessing. Again, I anxiously await hearing more about your sweet family in the future.
Much Love,
AMY:)
ps. have you read Things Pondered by Beth Moore?

Kele said...

Dear Amy, I do hope you let me know when your blog is up, I'd love to add it to MY favorites! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Couldn't agree more! Everytime we hear someone say it now, we take the time to educate them on how offensive it is if used in the wrong context. We point to our little Presley and explain that she has Down syndrome, etc. One person at a time!

toddy said...

My sweet,kathy griffin is funny,but always inappropriate.Ihave often caught myself saying the r word and the n word and regret it every time.Now I am trying to change that.Especially since I had a relative with d s and now i have met miss presly but i blame society and stupidity.whatever the case those words should be banned from use period.Maybe we could open up a bank account and each time that word is used we have to deposit fifty bucks.Then at the end of the year presly and myself can afford costumes for our next dance performance!!!!!!!!!!!I am thinking americas got tallent?I miss her and jett and you and cant wait to meet the rest of the crew!LOVE YOUR BLOG

Blog Archive