Thursday, September 3, 2009

Precious times...

I didn't think I would be writing a post tonight, but then I went over to Steph's blog and read her post, and it got me all weepy! She talked about how quickly her children are growing, (it is amazing the rapid speed in which these little ones of ours grow, is it not?!) The post hit home with me, as just this very evening, Mike got home earlier than usual, it was such a beautiful and cool night that we all went out to the front lawn. As Presley sat on my lap, Mike and I sat on the front steps and watched as Mikah and Jett chased each other around the yard, yelling each others names, playing their version of 'hide and seek' (Mikah showing Jett where to hide before closing her eyes to count and seek, LOL!) Mike and I watched and laughed, occasionally looking at one another and smiling, that smile that says a thousand words, words that need not be spoken. Jett yelling out "MIKAH come here!" and basking in the joy of seeing their love for one another. Together they explored rocks around the trees, walked the brick wall down the side of the house, laughing and rolling in the grass, it was great. I wish I could eloquently articulate the feelings that stir when I watch my children 'be', but I think, for once, I might just be at a loss for words.
My mother has always said how precious this particular time with my children is, and I know this is true. Precious is most certainly the word I would use to describe Mikah tonight, as we listened to her made up story about Princess' and castles, or when she asked all of us to come together and have a 'family hug and kiss' (something she requests regularly), and when Jett walked up to Mike, as soon as he arrived home, and simply said "Daddy, Will you hold me??" Or this afternoon, as I watched Mikah and Jett playing on the back patio, and Presley scooting across the patio to join them, precious is indeed, the only word I can think of.
My heart breaks a little bit each day, as I see how fast it all goes by. I wish I could make time stand still, just hang out here for a while longer, like we did this evening on the front steps. I adore how vivid it all seemed. Don't you love those moments when you are so 'aware'? So completely and totally in tune, to the fact that what you are experiencing, in that very moment, is precious. That is really rare. Not because precious times in our life are rare, we are amidst them constantly, but rarely do we find ourselves empty enough to absorb them. We are always so full of stress, or worries, or just the busyness of life. We may look back on them and think they were great, but to know, in that moment, that what you are experiencing is something beautiful, is an amazing thing, or better said... a precious thing.

6 comments:

Stephanie said...

Good Morning! I guess my emotional state will continue.... thanks! Bella just informed me that I was crying... yes I am.
What a beautiful post Kele.I guess we're all in this together, wish we were closer so we could be weepy together.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post my sweet, dear friend. So true, all of it. I have stopped a lot recently to just watch my kids and smile, truly rejoice in the blessing they are in my life and the 'perfect' moments I have had lately. Kurt has been working out of town so its just been me and my kiddos...Kyler has had to step up and help and does so at 7 years old so unselfishly, so kindly. Jaden and I have our sweet moments now that Ky is in school and Preslie shows me daily what it is to be in the presence of angels. Blessed we are, but the true gift, as you said is to recognize it...to be aware and alert and completely in tune! Thanks luv, that was perfect!

Rachael and Chris said...

So very beautiful and true, sweet Kele. I find myself wishing I could push Pause all the time. Your family is lovely. (And I'm glad you decided to overcome your envy and visit for Part 2! LOL)

Anonymous said...

Kele-
Oh how I wish also that life had a pause button. A few weeks ago I took Kaden to his first day at the Middle School. WOW... that was tough... tears were quickly streaming down my face the second he closed the door. I know that I will blink and he will be a Senior in High School..my how time flies.

So, poor little Kamden is 3, and I continue to find myself babying him and trying not to let him "grow up" on me.

Precious moments of precious children are such a treasure.

Denise said...

Thank you once again Kele for a beautiful post. It's fun because now that I have been to your house, I can actually envision the kids playing on your front lawn where we all stood and said goodbye that night. I have an 10 and 8 year old and believe me, it is true that time goes by so quickly. I feel lucky that I can be so easily reminded to enjoy every minute with Ella since I KNOW how fast the years go by.

Tina said...

What a wonderfully true post, it really bring things into perspective, i.e. nothing is more precious than our beautiful children. Thanks for reminding me once again to just sit back and enjoy the moment once in a while. I feel I have been on fast forward mode for too long that the "present" seems to pass me by. I have forgotten how to take out the time anymore, and I always seem to be making excuses for that, that between work ( i work 1/2 days) and therapy and school work and activities and house work etc. etc where's the time to stop and enjoy? Which I know is utter rubbish, its so important to take the time out since time is certainly not going to wait around, everything else will fall into place but stopping to enjoy our kids is not something we can push off for later, like you so beautifully said we are constantly around precious times but the true gift to ourselves is to be able to absorb them, to know in that moment that what we are experiencing is something beautiful, something special, something precious. Thanks for spelling it out!!

Blog Archive