But not having a brother kept me from witnessing a father/son relationship up close and personal. When Jett was born, the only 'rule' I was sure of, was that I would never say the words 'Boys don't cry', nor would I tolerate them from anyone else, (I mean seriously, what's up with that?!?!). Furthermore, I always hoped my son would have a loving and healthy relationship with Mike. I wanted them to have more than just 'sports' to talk about... (Am I the only one that seems to notice how seldom men communicate unless the discussion revolves around a ball of some kind... baseball, basketball, football?!!? - LOL!)
Mike and I have discussed this many times, I love that he sees the importance of this and I know that he will work very hard to create and maintain a real relationship with Jett.
Mike actually has an uncle that I admire so much, he is a big manly man, who has two of the most amazing teenage boys as sons. What I admire most is how endearing they are to one another. Yes, they do the 'sports stuff' (that is actually a huge understatement, they are excellent athletes, intensely involved in many sports), but beyond that, they laugh together, they goof off together, and most importantly, he is an affectionate father to both his son's. I know that may sound odd to some of you, for that to be important to me, but I have just never understood the whole societal 'Hug your daughter, shake your son's hand' thing?!?! So, to see a man show affection, and actually say "I love you" to his grown son, especially the manliest of men, is awe inspiring.
Mike is so loving and affectionate to Jett, and Jett loves no one like he loves his Daddy (if I dare ask him "Are you Mommy's baby?" he quickly answers, every time, "NOPE, I Daddy's baby!" LOL!)... I pray, pray, pray that this love and affection sustains, it is such a beautiful thing...
My personal favorite is the last photo

7 comments:
Sweetest photos. We let Andrew cry all he wants. Boys do cry! You're right.
There's nothing like those special Daddy, son moments. Especially for our boys trapped in a girls world.
I know Andrew really appreciates them.
What a great post. As a mother of 4 boys thats always wanted a girl to play with, I see all spectrums. I said I would never let my boy play with a toy gun. Ya right, they make guns with their fingers. I have a real emotional son, and an all boy, sports nut son. Boys are great.
Love the phots and yeah my favorite is the last one also....My son has always said the same also...
I cam upon your page through blog widget and so happy I did...what a beautiful family you have! So your a coaches wife...we have something in common...I am a coaches sister...heheeh...My brother is a coach in Mt. Pleasant SC...so what part of the US are you all from...I am Beth and live in middle GA...
Come visit sometimes...will have to add you to my blog list...I read your story about Presley and what a trooper she is...yes a Hero to many I am sure. Look forward to getting to know you better through blogger.
I think a father-son relationship is priceless. Kurt's father left he and his sister. To this day, Kurt still fights for his father, and each time he gets his heart crushed, so I know the importance of this bond. So amazing Jett and his daddy are so close! xo
What great thoughts, and what great pictures. Your family is so fortunate to have a wife and mother who truly treasures all of the gifts in her life.
That is so sweet!
LOVE the pictures! Of course I called Jim in right away to show him, and he too loves the last one. I wanted you to know I put in a plug for your blog on fb, so don't take the button down again! :) Hope some of my friends become your blog followers!
Post a Comment