Wednesday, December 31, 2008

My soul's compass...

On our 2 hour drive home from the holidays, after 4 days spent with family out of town, the kids fell asleep in the car. It had been a long few days, it was quiet and dark and I found myself reflecting on the time spent with Mike's family that day. We had spent this last day with Mike's extended family, most who had yet to meet Presley and the few who had, hadn't seen her since she left the hospital. I was so touched that day by all of them doting on her, showering her with attention and love, that on the drive home, thinking of it all, truly stirred my emotions.
I thought about this precious child of mine, I thought of all that this year has entailed, from my emotions, to Presley's endurance. It was like I had a slide show playing inside my head... I am amazed by all that has been stuffed into this past 10 months. As I sat there and reflected on it all, the changes in our life, the changes within me, changes I am still discovering, still grappling with, I realized that when the Lord sent me Presley, He sent me so much more than a precious daughter, He sent me a compass for this life of mine...
Don't think for a minute that I am saying I am always certain where I am going or what I should be doing, or that I no longer stress, worry or whine about things in life. But I will say, in Presley, I now have a point of reference that doesn't allow me to stay in those places for too long.
I think about all that she has endured and overcome, I think about the lives she has touched, the kindness we have been shown, the friendships we have found, the internal exploring she has prompted within me. When I think about of all this, I can't help but think, how her presence in my life, has pointed me right where I should be going.
The irony in this, is that I have collected compasses for the last 10 years. I received my first one from a high school friend on my 30Th birthday. I loved it! Years later, I received another one from Mike, as well as others, here and there, throughout the years.
For some reason, I have always been fascinated with them, a tiny object that can help you find your way... that analogy seems to fit perfectly when I think of Presley. I thank the Lord for sending me the ultimate compass, one for my soul, in the form of the most perfect child.
And thank you Oliver Family, for a beautiful day that prompted me to reflect on this year and for showing myself and Mike, just how loved our daughter Presley is by all of you.

3 comments:

The Mom said...

What an amazing post! It brought tears to my eyes. Love it!

All 4 My Gals said...

What a beautiful post. Thank you for sharing your heart and soul. You are loved!

Anonymous said...

BEAUTIFUL Kele! You just keep amazing me!

Blog Archive