Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Update on Presley...

Recently I have had a few people ask about Presley and her status... things she is doing, how is her health, etc. It made me realize I haven't really posted an 'update', so to speak, and considering so many of you stop by mainly cuz of my little butterfly, I thought I would update you all.
This past winter was a rough one for Presley, her little preemie lungs made it difficult for her to ward off much. She was a steroid junkie and was often sick, from winter cudies, to pneumonia, and at the very end of the winter, a mild case of RSV. She hasn't worn oxygen during the day since the first of this year, unless she was really sick and congested.
However, since this summer, Presley has been doing great, she hasn't been sick at all, although you can tell she has allergies in the spring. She is off oxygen completely, and as far as medication, she only takes singular at night for her allergies. No heart medications, no respiratory treatments, nothing... considering all she has been through, I consider that HUGE!
As far as food, Presley eats very well, however, we still give her liquids through her g-tube. Her speech therapist and I have started to be very aggressive in that area. But, it doesn't matter how well she learns to take liquids, or how soon, I will not even contemplate getting rid of her g-tube until I know for sure she can handle a winter without being sick constantly. I know when Jett gets sick he REFUSES to eat or drink, Presley having that g-tube assures me that I can keep her fed and hydrated (i.e. OUT OF THE HOSPITAL) if she decides to not eat or drink during a sick period! She will most probably have tubes put in her ears, and everything else taken out, (tonsils, adnoids, etc) once she turns two, most likely next summer. I have no doubt that will make a drastic change in her heatlh come the flu and cold seasons!
Where as one may think Pres has a 'team' of doctors, she doesn't. She has a peditrician, Dr. P, that I adore. He was recommended by the surgeon who did Pres' heart surgery, and aside from being a peditrician, he is a cardioligist!! We get two for the price of one! He is aggressive, has a beautiful staff that ADORES Pres, not to mention he is literally 4 miles from my house. Dr. P has joked with my kiddos to call him 'Uncle his name' and that he needs to give me a key to his office, as we came and went pretty regularly last winter.
Aside rom needing a cardiologist, one may assume Pres would need a pulmonologist (lung doctor) on her 'team', however, between, my being a respiratory therapist and the respiratory therapist on staff at Dr. P's office, we just don't feel the need. I can safely assess Presley in regards to her respiratory issues and Dr. P is awesome about ordering frequent xrays or treatment in that area.
As far as developmentally, Presley is 18 months old at the end of this month, but in many ways seems like a 6 month old. She still isn't sitting up or crawling, however, she does have her own way to get where she wants, whether it be rolling, or a kind of belly crawl. She has cut two teeth, albeit they are in the very back of her mouth, rather than the front. She grabs and pulls at everything, and changing her and feeding her get harder each day, as she wants to wiggle and move constantly. She still sleeps in our bedroom, however, that should change by summers end, I just seem to be taking my time ordering her bed, she and Mikah are going to be roomies, which tickles Mikah to death!! (Who the hell am I kidding, all the kids still sleep with us half the time! BTW, does anyone know of a size bigger than king? *sigh*)
She jabbers and yells and is very verbal, and has been for quiet some time actually. She is very good natured, although lately we have noticed a bit of an attitude in that she will get upset if she isn't being held or paid attention to at times. She still wears 9 to 12 month clothes and weighs 18 pounds, she's come a long way from the 3 pounds she weighed at birth, huh?!
As I write this, I realize how absolutely at peace I am with where she is, EXACTLY where she is. I have no sadness or issues about her delays in development. Presley will do all of the things that we want her to, and expect her to. Mike and I have very high expectations of her, realistic, but fear not, high. She will just get there when she is ready. Her therapists are always asking me for 'goals' in relation to time frame, like 'I want her to be sitting up by the time she's two, or walking by the time she's three', they have found that they have to drag this out of me because I just don't put expectations in a time frame. I want all those things for Pres, and I know she will reach all those goals, I just don't care when she does!
Both Mikah and Jett, were sitting up and crawling at 7 months... but at 7 months, Presley was doing something very different. I have the image embedded in my brain, and it is that image of her at 7 months that allows me to be so very patient... this little lovey can take all the time she wants to play catch up!


The embedded 7 month image...
Images since...
(I like these better, don't you?)



14 comments:

Lacey said...

Thanks for that update. She has the best hair ever. She will definitely do things at her own pace. Jax teeth came in different too. The molars before the front. He's 3 1/2 and still only has about 7 teeth.

Cheryl said...

She is so sweet! I can't wait to get to meet her :)

joella said...

You made me cry in seeing how much she has grown and what she is doing now. She has came a long way, in I think, a short time. I love the fact that she is still a baby in size, more time to love on her, kiss on her and cuddle with her a little bit longer. You know how it is when they start moving around, no time for the sweet stuff, they are too busy. How many people make a comment I wish they would stay small for a bit longer, it goes by way too fast.... It makes my heart smile to see her around Mikah and Jett and how they talk to her. She lights up. Yesterday she made her way over to Jett(she had her army crawl sneak attack from the back going) and was pulling at his blankie and his hair, he looked at her and gave her and I a big smile and moved up on the couch. Thank you for giving me the privilege of watching her grow and being around your family so much. I love you all.

Heather said...

Presley is perfect and in the perfect place for perfect Presley.Her way in her own time.She has come SO far and just wait to see where she will go.She is happy and content and knows she is loved and shows love back ... what more could you ask for?She is a beautiful butterfly and I feel blessed knowing that this miracle child is part of my life.Talk to you soon ... I could use a bit of Texas therapy ... please!!

Sophie Belle's Mom said...

How wonderful to read the update on Presley - and even more wonderful that it reflects the peace and happiness that she brings you as her parent, along with the patient anticipation of even more to come!

As always, I just adore her pig tail pictures. It cannot see how it would be possible for more joy to radiate from one little person without her just bursting!

Cammie Heflin said...

Our girls amaze me at how similar they are! Except for the fact that Addy is a year older, they are the same size! Addy is doing a bit more motor wise but not much!

Theresa C said...

Wow, was glad to hear all was o.k. The title to your post had me a little scared to read on. I can not believe how much she has been through, and how much she has accomplished. She is one special little butterfly. I love to look at your blog, it just makes me smile.

Tina said...

What beautiful pictures....Presley looks like she is a bundle of joy and I understand what you mean about accepting things the way they are and being at peace with the fact that our children will do EVERYTHING when they are ready to. My daughter Saira just turned 1 and I used to feel she is still not doing so much (Motorwise) that I see so many children on the blogs doing and that too when they are way younger than her. I have learnt to let go of these expectations and now am so at peace, I just enjoy Saira for the wonderful baby she is (also looks pretty much like a six month old still) everyday and she brings me so much joy. I love to follow your blog and feel so encouraged by your positive attitude. Thank you!

Stephanie said...

Great update. She's and absolute spitfire. I can see it in those gorgeous eyes! You're so right, Presley will progress in her own time. She's doing pretty good for herself.
I feel the same way. When Em's PT asks me what goals do I want Em to achieve in the next few months, I know I'm not saying what she expects me to. Right now her PT is slightly obssesed with Em passing a toy from one hand to the other,when offered a second toy. Right now she drops the first to accept the second. I'm fine with that. My kid is healthy and happy. What's better than that.

All 4 My Gals said...

Love it! Your attitude is perfect, just like your girl. Love you honey!

Cheri said...

I love the pictures..especially her little expression in the bath one! :) Hey, did you realize we met a year ago on our blogs?...it was actually a year ago today that I set up my blog...you were the first person to ever leave me a comment a few days later. :) I remember finding your blog just before Presley went into heart surgery and being so choked up because I remembered all those feelings going through it with Reid the year before....I was hooked right from the start with your beautiful butterfly.

Presley has come so far, I loved the update on her! She is actually just a few pounds behind Reid...and he is wearing some 6-12 month clothes too...mostly shorts because he has such a dinky butt :). Presley looks fantastic...and yes, she will do everything...in her time, no needs to rush anything...she is doing great!!...plus I like her little roll around thing...it's too cute to go away any time soon. :)

As for suggestions for making a king size bed any larger...I had to laugh at this because I have a trick...I am a big "pillow person" and we have a bazillion pillows on our bed (when it is made...they go about 3/4 the way down the bed). Anyway, at night I stuff those pillows into the space in between our bed and the wall and if the kids are in with us...they just roll over onto the "bed extension" if needed. :)

Hugs to you...my first blog friend!

Krissy said...

So so sweet! O'm so glad to hear how well she's doing!

Janet Wommack said...

Kele, I check your blog often and it sometimes brings tears to my eyes at the same time that my heart sings with joy. Hopefully, I will get to meet Presley someday. But with both Jim and Mike involved with football it will be hard. Please come to visit them in San Angelo sometime though.

Mel said...

Hi there, just dropping by from New Zealand :) My Luke is exactly one month to the day older than Presley. I love her with pigtails- very cute. I am amazed at how strong she is, and how much she had been through. Awe inspiring.

Blog Archive