Friday, July 31, 2009

Facebook, SCHMACEBOOK

I know I refer to movies a lot in my blog, but does anyone remember 'Broadcast News' with Holly Hunter? The scene where she is just bawling her eyes out, then come to find out it is something she makes herself do every morning before starting her day, her own self imposed 'therapy'! I just think that is so funny, who doesn't feel better after a good cry fest?! Well, tonight I think it is safe to say I had a doozy of one! I am preparing to send Presley's personal blog out for print, and as I went through it, rereading many of the posts, I was overcome, to say the least! AND, if that wasn't enough, when I was done with her blog, I started scouring this one. I was smiling through some of the posts I read, laughing through others, and, yes, rereading some moved me to tears. But, at the end of several hours, I thought to myself 'WOW, what a great thing I am doing for my kiddos, they have such an amazing scrapbook, photo album, momma-diary, recording their life!!' And that latter part, the 'momma-diary', I think that is the best part! Mike and I spoke of that the other day, how so often people grow up having a hard time thinking of their parents as any thing other than a 'Mom and Dad'. We don't know about their dreams and goals and fears and loves and loss. A part of me wants my children to know more of me than just the mommy who raised them.


So why did I title this post 'Facebook, SCHMACEBOOK'? Just to be silly really! I HAVE tried Facebook, but it is just not for me. But, the blogging thing, well, I love it! And at the end of the day, I think it has a lot of value. Perhaps even some therapeutic value! After tonight's cry fest, I decided I am going to add a 'favorite posts' category on my sidebar, so that if I ever need some free therapy, it is just a click away!! LOL!

9 comments:

Stephanie said...

SO true, I always think my blog as turned into so much more than I ever thought it would. my kids now get memories and a look into their parents lives that most kids don't get. Mom and Dad, have dreams and worries and expectations? Who new, well... now they will. Great ides with Presley's blog. Sending big hugs!!!

Beth said...

Another benefit to blogging: I don't have to pay for a psychotherapist!

Blogging is definitely a stress outlet for me, as well as my answer to scrapbooking (like that's gonna happen at my house?? I don't think so...)

heidi marie said...

love this post. i think sometimes people think it's silly to have a blog, but how many people keep diaries..or wished they had. how many people have a recording of events and feelings over time?? i love that if i keep up with blog i will have a recording of our lives in words and pictures!!! i, too, put together henry's blog into a book about a month ago...i just haven't ordered it yet!

Lacey said...

I'm not big on facebook either. I have one but I never go on there unless someone sends me something. I so wish I had this blog when Jax was in the hospital for so long. It would have been nice to be able to go back every day and see what happened. Even though it was a lot of bad stuff, it still would have been nice to have.

Anonymous said...

So true...this is my therapy a lot of days, my family, my outlet and something to pass on! Your children are 3 very lucky children to have such amazing parents! xo

Heather said...

Thank goodness for blogging ...how would I ever have lived without knowing you all,followed by loving you all in such a big,crazy never even have met you, way!Cry and blog.Good therapy.Works for me on most days.Love to you all

ParkerMama said...

I feel the exact same way as you do about Facebook. Although I do spend a minute or two on Twitter.

ahem

Presley is getting so big....and even more beautiful.

Cammie Heflin said...

I just found your blog through Ella's, our girls sound like they were cut from the same cloth!

Kristin said...

I soooo agree. I have a FB account that I check every couple of weeks. I don't get it. But I blog like a maniac because I don't keep a journal and I can't wait to give copies to my kiddos :)

Blog Archive