Thursday, July 23, 2009

Wha! Cry me a river...

"MOTHERHOOD is not for the faint of heart!"
I saw this on a t shirt the other day and I wanted to order it in 7 different colors for every day of the week!!! I am feeling so overwhelmed the last few weeks, so impatient and frazzled and that saying speaks volumes right now!! I know every mommy gets here eventually, and for the most part I try to stay in check as to how lucky we are, how aware I am that things could be worse. But, sometimes, it just helps to vent!!
This morning as I go to the bathroom, as usual I am followed by one of the kiddos, as Mikah stands there while I pee, and tells me why I really need to glue her Barbie's shoes on to her feet, the frustration that has been brewing the last few weeks hit it's peak. I ask her if there is any way she could please go away so that I can use the restroom in peace, she says 'yes', walks to the main part of the bathroom, sits on the rug and cheerfully says 'I will wait for you here'. I then ask her to please leave my bedroom and shut the door, she does so, however, peace wasn't to be had, as Jett stands outside my door knocking incessantly. All normal for a mommy of three, yes I get it. This is life at it's norm, but it doesn't mean every once in a while it doesn't just send you to the edge.
Several times, both Mike's mom and my mom, has mentioned that Mike and I should really take the time to watch the movie 'Marley and me', they have both said it emulates mine and Mike's life. We did so last weekend and they couldn't be more right. Our life together, also started easy and carefree, with a blonde lab, then was propelled into the madness of a family of 5!
As I watched the scene where Jennifer Aniston says "No one tells you it is going to be this hard!" I thought she was inside my head! There have been times when I complain or feel overwhelmed and Mike has said "But this is exactly what you wanted, to be a stay home mommy to a house full of kiddos!" (I have yet to punch him in the face when he says that, but it is certainly what I am day dreaming about when he does say it). It isn't that this isn't what I want, or LOVE, but jeez, no one can ever tell you just how hard it is going to be.
I have worked 16 hour days in the hospital setting, 2 and 3 days in a row, mainly on my feet, 60 to 70 hours a week, and never have I felt as tired at the end of the day, as I have as a mommy. The other day I actually refereed a fight between Mikah and Jett about the numbers 7, 8 and 9. SERIOUSLY! Mikah was counting and once she got to 7,8 and 9, Jett threw a complete fit! Saying those were HIS numbers, Mikah could count as high as she wanted but she was not to use 7,8 and 9. CAN YOU believe? Yes, if your a mommy you can. So is anyone out there telling me to get over myself yet? Well, fine, I will, this little pity party I am throwing will pass, but that is what you guys are all here for, right? To stop by and check in on the good AND the 'not so good'. Surely, you are all sane enough to know that just because I only post the nice stuff, the seemingly 'all is right and perfect in our life' stuff, you don't think for a minute that that is all my life is about? Heather and I talked about this the other day, the birds eye view, through a blog, is JUST that, a birds eye view!! I mean, am I really going to post when Mike and I are ready to throttle each other, or the times when I have told my kids that they better not come out of the play room unless there is blood on someone? Not regularly, no. (Now the secret is out... I do tell my kids that at times, LOL!)
Well, I promise to not make my ranting a regular thing, but I already feel better, so I guess this little whine fest served it's purpose for me! Thanks for listening!
Why the picture of Presley after this post? Cuz she is the only one who has kept me sane through all the craziness!


14 comments:

Rachael and Chris said...

If there is a mom out there who says she hasn't wished for extra hands so that she could throttle her husband, children, and pets at the same time, she is lying.
You're awesome, Kele. It's great to be honest about these days. The moms who drive me crazy are the "all or nothing" ones...they either smile 24/7 or they complain 24/7. It's healthy to mix it up a little. :)

Heather said...

I often say that Zoey may just prove to be easiest of the bunch yet!!Rant away Kele and while your at it could you pick me up 7 of those shirts too.. make it 8,I may need two for Fridays!

Denise said...

I love your ranting...it makes you seem like a the imperfect mom that I am. We all have those days and feelings, you just had the guts to say it!!! Even the part about wanting to smack my husband for saying "that's your job" or "what else do you have to do all day" when I say I just need a break from the kids. They just don't get it!!! And,yes, I agree. Our littlest angels are the easiest!!! Maybe not the easiest when it comes to worrying about health issues but definitely the easiest to be around. I love those pics of Presley!! You mentioned in a previous post that Presley can't sit up on her own yet. I was just wondering if you have somewhere on your blog her medical history. I am just curious what kinds of things you have been through with her. (Just me being nosy)

My name is Sarah said...

This is Joyce. As a mom of three I so understand Kele, although mine are getting so big now I almost wish for the crazy days back. I remember one night I yelled at the top of my lungs and I'm sure the neighbors heard me, "Can I please just pee in peace." The boys were afraid to come near me the rest of the night, but dear Sarah climbed right up into bed with me and kissed my check. I think Presley will be just like her, melting your heart for years to come.

The Beautiful Cagle Family said...

It is good to have a pitty party for yourself so you can feel better. And the best part, after you are over it you realize how blessed you really are to have such a wonderful family.
I told a friend the other day, "Now I know why I have 3 kids, because I will always love one of them everyday." Hahaha!!
Keep being real, I love mommy stories!!

Cheri said...

Oh I am cracking up...the fighting over 7, 8, and 9 are too much...and the moving over to the rug to wait for you there, priceless! I hear you with the ranting...there are definitely days! But, also as I read that I thought..."there are going to be days she is going to read back on this when the kids are grown and off with heir own families and crave the craziness..and their cute bickering...and the insistence that barbie needs her shoes glued to her feet!!" :)

Marley and Me...ughhhh such a great movie, I was pleasantly surprised by what a good storyline it was...and that house!?!?!!...I want that house!! :)

Hugs to you...from one tired momma to another!! :)

Tina said...

You couldn't be a more normal mum...I mean which one of us doesn't want to throttle our men once in a while and which one of us doesn't need to let it all out??? I can't rememeber the last time I had "me time",but thats what we mums are, super human beings! Everyone and everything comes first and then if we have a little time left over for ourselves we are lucky, so rant away, I think its very healthy and very important to do so every now and then!!
Despite what I thought my life would end up being, I must also say that Saira has been the easiest baby I could think of having she has been pure pleasure!

Krissy said...

Ranting can sometimes help get you get out a bit of the frustration so I concur-rant away!
I've been meaning to watch Marley and me for sometime now, I'll definitely have to do that!

Tina said...

Also wanted to say that Presley seems to be sitting quite well in her Bumbo seat....my daughter is just 1 and can't sit on her own either, she just flops over, even in her bumbo seat she needs support from the front. We are working hard with her physiotherapy and she seems to be getting stronger.....but its a slow and long road ahread.
Presley look really cute in her chair!!

Aunt Kim said...

Hey Kele--this is your sister, you know the one without kids. Except for those who live with you and Kristy.

I think a little whine every now and then is good. But I also think you should follow it up with a little WINE!

I am very proud of you and this post. You are a great mom and even greater lady. M, M, J & P (and Gus too) are lucky to have you. I am happy that you can see thru the madness that is your life to know that you are lucky to have them too.

Hang in there and don't forget, there will come a day when you can get them out of your hair by sending them to visit Aunt Kim!

Cheryl said...

Great post!I can SO relate :) I have to confess that sometimes I say,"Can ya'll just shut-up for awhile!" Not nice I know :( but most of the time I enjoy my kids.

Stephanie said...

Super,awesome,so true post!!! I just went to dinner last night with two of my nearest and dearest and all we talked about was how crazy motherhood is, and how possessed our kids are at times.
Although I look like the possessed one sometimes for sure!

BTW, my husband gives me the same line... isn't this exactley what you wanted. No! I wanted a house full of happy, cutely dressed obedient children, like on the Sound of Music..all lined up, nice. What I got was Ringling Bros.
I'm not saying I'm glad your frazzled, but it's a comfort to know it's not just me.
Ok,one more thing, did you ever glue on the Barbie shoes?
and one more thing... I love the circus,my life could never be a musical, I can't sing.

Sophie Belle's Mom said...

A day after originally reading this I am STILL laughing about the 7-8-9 fight!

Debbie @ Three Weddings said...

I could have written that post this week. I am so sick of playing referree of who did what and how fair I'm being etc. I was at a training session today at our local guild office, though and someone said something I firmly believe; it's ok to have a pity party and even helpful, just don't stay there. We all need days to feel sorry for ourselves and just let it all out and vent. If we don't it will bottle up inside us and explode.

I hope next week is better for you!

Blog Archive