Don't you think that video is a fitting way to start Down syndrome awareness month? I did!!! Not to mention that it is one of the things I feel touches me the most about Presley's diagnosis, what it will mean for her siblings.One day, my friend Heather and I were talking about something or other, and she said to me "Kele, Jett is going to be a better brother, a better husband, a better friend and a better person, because of Presley." I loved that! And I know that is true about both Mikah and Jett.
Do I think Jett is going to be a better person than your son? Mikah, a better person than my neighbor's daughter? Absolutely not! But, Mikah and Jett will be a better Mikah and Jett, because of Presley. As a mother, that is huge to me.
I have two sisters, sisters that, without a doubt, are two of the most important people in my life. We are always there for each other. I can't express this accurately in words, we always know that we will walk this life, it's ups and it's downs, together. I don't think that is true for every sibling relationship...I know it isn't. I have seen it up close and personal for myself. It isn't 'a given' that siblings are close and that siblings are there for one another, but for me and my sisters, it couldn't be more true. When Presley came into our lives, this didn't just happen to Mike and I, as far as my sisters were concerned, this happened to them as well. They have both made themselves 'aware', they have both, without my urging or my help at all, planned and walked in the 'Buddy walk', a walk supporting Down syndrome, in each of there home towns. They are amazing sisters, aunts and people!
I feel my children will know a closeness like this with one another, I truly do. Do I think it will only be because of Presley and the fact that she has Ds? Not at all. But I know that it will be a large part of it. And, I know that Presley's presence in my children's life will teach them things that Mike and I could not consciously teach them.
In the book written by Gene Stallings regarding his son, John Mark, who had Down syndrome, there is a part where he discusses coming home from work one day to have his other children and wife greet him at the door, walk him to the back patio to watch John Mark walking for the first time. They all clapped and cheered and cried!!! Coach Stallings and his wife have said, that to this day, forty something years later, it is still one of their happiest days as a family.
There is something to be said about that joy, that knowing to appreciate something so simple, so small, but so beautiful. Things Ds will teach you.
When we first brought Presley home I worried about Jett with her. I mean, this kid gives new meaning to 'all boy', he is rough, tough, bites, scratches...yikes, he is a mess! But I have been amazed to see how he just knows with Pres, to be gentle, he is soooo sweet to her. He calls her 'Sha Sha' (somewhere in there it actually does sound like 'Pres ~ ley').
'Sha Sha' is going to be a big part of the reason my Jetty and Mikah will be the amazing people I know they are destined to be!
12 comments:
OK...you are so right on with this post. Our family is so much stronger because of Zoey, and all of her "medical things." Throughout our journey, all eight of us have loved and learned from each other, and I truly beleive that is why WE were chosen to have her be our little one. Pres will bring sooo much more to all of you...More than you will ever know. She is a beauty!
First, imagine by surprise to see the first comment come from my husband,who is suppose to be working.Until 3am.See if I buy that line again.Second and most important,this was a beautiful post my friend.Through and through a testament to what Presley has already brought to your lives and a glimpse of what is yet to come!
What Mark said is so true...what a blessing she is and look how many lives she has touched...even a stranger like me....I love your blog and so moved every time I visit...
She is so pretty and growing up so FAST....
Have I told you lately that I love your family? You are so very right on about all that you have so eloquently stated. And I love the comment below about smiling when you have not posted. Your time is definitely limited my girl. I have that exact shirt that Mikah is wearing...purchased shortly after T's birth. :) Happy DS Awareness month, I am so privileged to be sharing this journey with you!
Tarenne has given Ms. Pres an award. http://tarenne.blogspot.com/
HUGS
Is there anything sweeter than your sweet kids? NO WAY!!!!!!!!
Love this post...big hugs to you and your family.
That's beautiful!
I have to agree with how Presley will make Mikah and Jett better "Mikah and Jett". My husband's brother has special needs. Having this experience and the love of his brother grew a character and heart in my husband that made him stand out from the rest and made me fall in love with him.
I am thrilled that my Luke too will be a better Luke for having his baby brother enter his life with his extra chromosome. :) He knows nothing but unconditional love for his "little pal".
Well its about time I made the cut and get a mention on the blog!!! ;)
Thank you for recognizing how much Presley and all the babies mean in all of our lives. I couldn't agree more that Presley will make Mikah and Jett a better Mikah and Jett. She has already made Aunt Kim a better Aunt Kim. Truly.
More video please!!!!!!!!!!!
Aunt Kim
BEAUTIFUL!! This spoke volumes and is so true. By the way...I loved the painting pictures. ALL BOY is so true. He'd fit right in with my three rounders. I'm so glad I found your family through the world of blogging.
I love this post. Mikah's exuberance, your eloquence - love it all. ;)
Kele,
Again you amaze me, what an awesome blog..... I love the painting. You are right about Mikah and Jett be different with Presley in their Life, but also it is making you and Mike better people too. GOD has chosen your family for some awesome reason to be caretaker of a precious angel Presley. So even if you think it's hard and you have tough days what an amazing responsibility your whole family has to help Presley, Mikah and Jett to be the special people they will become. Not only has it touch all your family it has also touch other lives, friends across the country that you have never met(isn't it amazing that they are becoming some of your best friends and you haven't even seen them face to face.) And the lives you have touch in Texas and Rockwall. I would of never dreamed I would of met a beautiful family and awesome children through me teaching MDO at Lake Pointe and they would become my friends. I love your children like they are a apart of my family and your sweet little angel has touch my life and blessed me in many ways, you are an amazing person, mother, wife, sister, daughter and friend. You will be blessed for what you are doing for those sweet babies and not giving up on the everyday life they bring, take one day at a time and rejoice on these precious, priceless memories of painting on the fence, playing in the sand, all the spilled milks,all the dress ups and pretending to a princess, and all the beautiful smile from Pres.
Luv Ya
Prayers and Blessing to u all!
Joella
Post a Comment