Nancy... Who is that? My mother, and no I do not call her Nancy, I call her Mom, but Mikah got the "M" in this thankful fest, so Mom had to become Nancy!Growing up I wouldn't describe my Mother and I as having a close relationship... I was a bit of a rebellious teen, one who took a liking to blaming all of my dysfunctions and disappointments on my Mother. However, there are many wonderful things I recall about my Mom growing up, like always being so proud of how beautiful our home was, or feeling lucky to have her so involved in our lives, whether it be as room mother, brownie leader, party planner, she wore all the hats. But once adolescence hit, I managed to forget those things and concentrate solely on the "No you cant's" that I heard later in life, as well as any and all mistakes she made as a Mother, that I so arrogantly felt I should hold her accountable for. This tainted my relationship with her well into my adult life. Then this amazing transformation took place at the ripe old age of 38, when I became a Mommy myself!! Seriously, it all changed for me internally when I had Mikah. I realized, at 38, how hard it was to be a Mommy and it wasn't long after wards that I found myself asking "How the hell did my Mom do this at 18???" All of a sudden, resentment turned to admiration. I look back and think of all that my Mom did and had to handle at the age of 18, and I KNOW there is no way I could of done half the job she did. I feel so very thankful that I was able to turn those feelings around in our lifetime together. Now she is the first person I want to call for a recipe, or when I feel the 'Mommy frustrations or blues' coming on! And when I see her with my children I am very thankful! My mom has wonderful memories of her childhood with her Grandmother and I see her emulate those times with my children. My Mom is the one who first taught Mikah to count to ten, using a deck of cards as flash cards, she is the first person to teach her how to use scissors, she cooks with her and reads with her, she is 'Noni' and my kids adore her! I am so thankful that I have been able to forgive my Mom for not being perfect, every day, as a Mother, and I certainly pray that my children will be able to do the same for me one day!!
3 comments:
Holy cow! Another thing in common The old rebellious teen, blame it on mom trick!!! I was a flippin' disaster as a teen and it's only now that I have kids that I see what I put her through!
Sure glad we both saw the light!
Moms... aren't they great!
What a beautiful post, so honest, thanks for sharing. I think alot of girls go through what you did with your mom, I rememeber my own childhood, no mother definately wasn't my best friend for sure, but looking at things now well, just like you she's the first person I call when I am at a loss. I think sometimes mothers and daughters are sometimes too much alike thus the clash....but thankful, like Stephanie put it, for seeing the light!
Post a Comment